Monday, February 2, 2009

Having "the talk"

You all know about "the talk," right? It's that awkward conversation that occurs at the beginning of a relationship. Badge and I are still dating, and I believe things are going well. But this brings me to an age old question...

At what point do you have the talk - the talk that gives you a sort of definition of your relationship? And who should bring it up?

As of now, I'm assuming he is still dating other people. Whether that's true or not I have no idea. I'm not dating anyone, but that's more of a situational thing than a "I've decided to not date other people" thing. Do I want to date other people? Not really- I like Badge, and I'm excited about where it's going. But if someone asked me out I would probably say yes....although my heart wouldn't really be in it.

The planner in me wants to just ask him and get it over with...even if he said he was still dating other people and wasn't ready for that next step. I'd be okay with that, since that's what I'm assuming anyway...but there's something about actually knowing instead of assuming.

The other part of me wants for him to wait to bring it up. I don't want to scare him off, or think that I'm pressuring him in any way, because that's not the case. I just want to know. Think of it as a status check.

So to my readers- how has "the talk" come up in your relationships? Do you bring it up? How long into the relationship has it occurred?

4 comments:

Ed said...

It's been so long since I've been in a relationship that I don't even remember how it came up. I think she and I were both not dating other people at the time, so the exclusivity just sort of happened.

I'd tell you to wait until he brought it up, but I know you'd just drive yourself crazy ;-) So instead I'll just suggest you wait a week or so and then broach the subject if he hasn't already.

Anonymous said...

how long have you guys been dating?

PadresGirl said...

My general rule of thumb is when you start talking about the sex... I've just let the guys know that I'm not having the sex with him if there's a remote possibility that he's having the sex with someone else.

I think Ed is right, though. Guys will generally (at least in my experience) wait for you to bring it up anyway. I think it has to do with their sense of manliness. :-)

Unknown said...

i have never brought it up and the guy usually does. My theory is if he gets a little jealous/possessive he may be more inclined to bring it off. I also think if you bring it up he is more likely to interpret it as you wanting to marry him. Resist the urge!!! And be unavailable once or twice with vague reasons (ok so its sort of game-y and this last part is optional but it may expedite the process/ Be cool and aloof....