Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Gee, that wasn't awkward at all!

Sunday evening I met up with Ragboy for some mini-golf. Let me start by saying that he is super cute. His profile only had one picture, and it was a head shot, so I wasn't sure what to expect. He is blond with blue eyes (side note: Did you know that writers of English often will still distinguish between the masculine blond and the feminine blonde and, as such, it is one of the few adjectives in English with separate masculine and feminine forms?). Faithful blog reader "Hopeful for Hope" noted that even though I always say I like guys with dark hair, I almost exclusively date those with light hair. Interesting. Okay, where was I...

Oh yeah. Mini-golf went well. I’m usually pretty good, but for some reason I was terrible. As in so-bad-I-didn't-even-care-about-winning BAD. Oh well. He suggested that we go have a glass of wine at this wine bar right down the street…then he said we could do that or go somewhere with TVs to watch the end of the Bears/Colts game. I also wanted to see the game so I opted for that. We hung out for a while and everything was going well.

About a half hour into the drinks/appetizer/football, his friend called him, which he didn’t answer. Then he fessed up that he had told his friend to call so that if the date wasn’t going well he could make up some excuse to leave. At least he’s honest! Plus I've done that myself, although the date would really have to be really horrible for me to use the out. Anyway, the friend kept calling, and I told him he should answer it because maybe something else was going on. Turns out his friend and friend’s girlfriend were at another bar near by and wanted us to go there. A little weird for a first date, but I was having a good time so I didn’t really care (side note: what is it with meeting up with friends on a first date? Check out this post.).

The friend was really giant. He played football in college and was like 6’4” 280 lbs. Big boy. He was also a bit older than Ragboy. His gf was probably around 40 but trying to be 20. Short shorts, tube top, etc. Super ditzy, but in the entertaining, not annoying, way. I was there maybe 15 minutes and they invited Ragboy over for dinner for the following night, and then looked at me and told him he could bring a friend. Haha…then later on in the night they just flat out invited me. They were also talking about getting married in 10 months. I asked them if they were engaged. Nope. I asked how long they had been dating... TWO months!

Now the awkwardness was really starting. First, they asked me how the date was going and to rate it from 1-10... right in front of Ragboy! They also asked if they would be witnessing any 1st kisses…once again, in front of the boy. At this point we were all sitting outside. The friends started getting "friendly" with each other, so Ragboy and I went inside. As we were walking in he said “maybe we should kiss,” but I didn’t hear it like that…I thought he was making some joke about kissing the love birds, so I was like “no, I’m good.” By the time I realized what he had actually said it was a little late to admit my mistake. I know, no more awkward than the entire date, but still. Eventually he walked me out to my car and we hugged and I went home at like 12:30am, yes, on a Sunday....way past my bedtime.

I texted Ragboy the next morning to say thanks and to ask about the 8am workout he had scheduled...I got a text back, so that was good. I asked him how long he stayed at the bar after I left: "10 minutes. They started making ot again and the term akward is an understatement." Haha. He also texted me a few times last night. Still no invite for a 2nd date, but I guess the fact that we're still talking is a good sign. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Jaimi said...

Sounds promising, especially since he was also embarrassed by his friends also.

PadresGirl said...

How funny. On my post I failed to mention that Psych's friend's wife was about 10 years older than the friend.