Thursday, October 2, 2008

I'm going to do it...

After consulting with several people, I've decided to bite the bullet, sack up, and do it...I'm going to ask out Dentist.

The last time I asked a guy out was in 2003. It was a guy who was in grad school with me. He was hot. I'll call him Hottie. Now, Hopeful for Hope had heard me talk about Hottie for, I don't know, six months or so. So, for Christmas, what did she get me? A gift card to the movies and Chili's, for two, with the stipulation that I had to ask Hottie to go with me. Gulp. I think it must have been March before I got up the nerves to ask him. And it was horrible. I was soooo nervous. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Um, uh, um."
Hottie: "Yes?"
Me: "Um, well, uh, my friend, uh, gave me a thing, I mean a gift card, for Christmas."
Hottie: "Okay?"
Me: "And, um, well, I haven't used it yet."
Hottie: ::blank stare::
Me: "Oh, and it's, um, for Chili's."
Hottie: ::blank stare::
Me: "And, um, I was wondering, if um, maybe you wanted to grab dinner with me."
(No, I didn't mention the movie, that was just too much.)
Hottie: "Sure."
Me: ::throws up::

Okay, I really didn't throw up, but I could have. Easily. Anyway, we did go to dinner, and it was fun, but we never ended up dating or anything.

But, I think this is a great illustration of the magnitude of what I'm going to do. So, tomorrow, at some predetermined time, I'm going to call Dentist's office. I'm going to leave a message for him to call me back. And, when/if he does, I'm going to ask if he would like to meet up for drinks or something. That's right, at age 28, I'm growing (metaphorical) balls. Whew. And I'm sticking this on my blog now so that I am forced to actually go through with it. ::throws up::

Oh, and before I hear all of you calling me a wimp, sissy, whatever, I would like to ask all of you girls out there: how many guys have you asked out? I'm guessing not very many...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, you're all grown up now! If he accepts I think you should buy the drinks, since you are always going on about how the guy should pay for you since he's the one who asked you out.

Good luck!!

hope said...

I agree. I would at least offer, and actually mean it.

PadresGirl said...

Wow, I am totally impressed, regardless of the outcome. I've never asked a real life boy on a date. :-)