Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Reasons to see the dentist?

I've been thinking about getting Invisalign ever since it came out. It wasn't until the past couple years or so, when the dentist told me I need braces, that I actually thought I needed braces. Of course I didn't believe that dentist, so I saw another. Then an orthodontist. Then another orthodontist (anyone who knows me knows I am a very thorough researcher). Fast forward to last winter. I'm driving home from work, look in my mirror, and notice a chip in my front lower tooth. This happens to be the exact reason I was told I needed braces; my top teeth slant in and hit the bottom teeth, potentially causing damage. Anyway, with my new job came great insurance, including orthodontic insurance for adults (say it with me, "wow!"). I ruled out getting traditional braces mainly because I'm over the age of 12...plus it could cause "complications" if I ever manage to wrangle in a boyfriend (ahem)...so, I have gone to every Invisalign provider in my town (there are 6-7 in my area, and they all have very different prices, so of course I had to get a consultation from each one).

Two weeks ago I went to my final consultation. At this point I was pretty sick of dentists. Until I actually saw this dentist. I wouldn't say he was hot, I mean, he is a dentist after all. But he was cute, in that I-know-you-were-totally-dorky-in-high-school-but-now-are-cute-and-people-call-you-doctor sort of way. (Side note: the great thing about having a crush on your dentist is you can freely stare into his eyes while he's doing his thing...those lovely blue eyes.) I glanced at his degrees hanging on the wall: "The University of Blah Blah presents this dental degree on this day in the year 2005." Quick math follows...okay, 2005, 4 years of dental school, graduated from college in 2001, high school in 1997...Holy Crap, he's only a year younger than I am!

Now, this wasn't a freaked-out thing, like having a doctor who is fresh off the med school boat or something. As a matter of fact, blog reader Hopeful for Hope's brother is a dentist, and of the same age. And he is a great dentist. No, what was going through my mind was "Score, I totally want to date my dentist." The problem? I knew nothing about him. And unfortunately, the appointment was very short. But he did recommend I come back to get my chipped tooth fixed before we start the Invisalign process. Happily and excitedly, I made an appointment.

The appointment was yesterday. I made it my goal to get as much info about Dentist as I could, without freaking him out. However, I just couldn't find a way to bring up what I wanted to know the most, was he single. I skimmed the pamphlet in his office, as well as his website, hoping to find some mention of a spouse. You know, like "Dentist enjoys biking and skiing in his spare time, and spending time with his lovely wife, Dentista." Nope, only the biking and skiing were mentioned. By the end of the appointment I had learned where he went to school (which, interestingly enough, was across the country in the city I had vacationed in the prior weekend), where he grew up, and why he was currently living in the area. But nothing more.

I return to work, disappointed I couldn't find out more information. I went into the Hen House, the large corner office/room that houses two of my work friends. I told them what happened, then jokingly (sort of) mention to S that she should go get a consultation as well (yes, she actually was interested in Invisalign), and while she's at it, find out if Dentist is single. Now, let me pause to say S has the biggest (metaphorical) balls of any girl I know. You can dare her to do anything and she will...she's very handy when wanting to talk to boys. And if you know me, you know talking to boys is ridiculously difficult for me. And no, I don't know why.

A few minutes later I get a Skype message from S: "Made an appointment for tomorrow at 2:30." Holy Poop on a Stick, she's going to do it. So, today at 4:15, I get the info on what went down...and it goes something like this:

S, to the receptionist: "Hi, I'm S, I have a 2:30 appointment."
Receptionist: "Great, nice to meet you, please sign in."
S: "Wonderful, thank you. Oh, is Dentist single?"
Receptionist: "Why yes he is."
---------------
S, to Dentist (immediately upon meeting him): "So Dentist, I hear you're single."
Dentist: "Yes I am."
(He examines her teeth.)
S: "Good because my friend thinks you're hot."
Dentist: "Is that why you made the appointment? Because your teeth are great."

The good news is S actually did make a follow-up appointment to go through with the Invisalign, so it's not like we were officially wasting his time. And, while she didn't say my name, she did have me down as her referral, so I'm guessing that someone with a dental degree could put two and two together. You can imagine my surprise when my cell rang at 5:23 this evening. "Could this be Dentist calling? No, I'm not lucky enough for that."

Me: "Hello?"
Lady caller: "Hi, this is receptionist from Dentist's office."
Me: --------silence for a few seconds-------
Me: "Really? I mean, um, hi!"
Lady: "Your friend, S, was in here today, and for some reason we didn't get her work number. Do you know it?"
Me: "Actually I don't even know my work number...but the main office number is (me pulling out a business card) 123-456-7890."
Lady: "Great, thanks. We'll see you in here at your next appointment."
Me: "K bye."

Okay, why didn't they call HER on her cell to get her work number? Odd. Anyway...

The problem is my next appointment isn't until December 12....since I want to use next year's flexible spending account to pay for my Invisalign, thus saving me like 25% in taxes. I asked blogger Jaimi to punch me in the mouth, as to loosen a tooth and require an emergency appointment, but that may be a tad bit too much (although she kindly agreed to do so). S has her next appointment on October 12, so I suppose I could have her do something (like give him my card with my cell written on it)...but I just don't know. I also don't know if dentists have the same rule as doctors where they can't date patients. All I know is this guy is single, cute, my age, and seems to have a great personality (and not even in a "for a dentist" sort of way). Oh, and I also know I can't be too big of an idiot, since I am going with him for the Invisalign for sure.

I'm going to put this out to my readers...anyone have any ideas? Reasons to see the dentist? Ways to get in contact without making a total @$$ out of myself?

5 comments:

Jaimi said...

I am so gonna punch in the mouth.

Jaimi said...

That would have sounded better if I had been coherent.

Anonymous said...

It's okay, we knew what you were trying to say.

Ed said...

Having Jaimi punch you in the mouth is the way to go. I know you, and if you don't find a legit reason to go visit him for business, then within a couple of weeks you're going to rationalize some way to "run into" him, and before you know it you're going to be following him home.

Anonymous said...

You will definitely need to devise a plan with S for her October 12th visit. The best would be to run into him outside of the office, so maybe S can find out where he likes to hang out. Or you can go with her to her appointment and try to talk to him.