Friday, December 5, 2008

Let's just say that J owes me a Starbucks

The bad news:

Rick came over last night. We went across the street to play pool, then back to my place to watch The Office. No move was made. At all. None.

The good news:

J and I had made a bet, if he kissed me I buy her a Starbucks, if he doesn't, she buys me one. So at least I have that to look forward to.

The weird news:

He texted me after he left and wants to know when we can get together again. I don't swear, but I think a WTF is in order.

The hypotheses I've heard so far this morning:

1) He's gay (unlikely that he would have signed up for a matchmaking service, a heterosexual matchmaking service)
2) He's just really really shy (he was student body vice president in college, and in a frat)
3) He's really really nice and doesn't want to move too quickly (maybe)
4) He's a 28 year old virgin (see #2)
5) He's socially retarded (see #2)

Now what?

I don't know what to do now. After the last date, I said I'd give him one last chance to make something happen, and if he didn't, I would move on. But the thing is that I like him and enjoy spending time with him and I really want to get over this "hump." So now I am considering emailing him and confronting him. But how do I word that? I want to make it so I can say what I want, without making it too awkward the next time we're together. Help!

8 comments:

Jaimi said...

I think you should go with:

"Are you a socially retarded virgin?"

Ed said...

Theory #2 or #5 are probably the most likely. I think you have two options, just cut ties, or sack up and make the move yourself. I know you hate taking the lead in these situations because "that's the boy's job", but it looks like he's not going to do it on his own. So if you want to take this one anywhere, you're probably going to plunk him with a fastball and make him take first base, if you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Jaimi - LOL!

Hope - I agree that since you really like him you should confront him about it. You can either confront him with words in an email or you can confront him by making the first move and kissing him yourself. If you want to do the latter at the end of your next date when he goes in for the hug you should kiss him on the lips, maybe add some tongue in there if it seems like he gets into it.

Anonymous said...

Wait, people kiss without tongue?

Anonymous said...

Just place his hand on your boob, then smile.

Anonymous said...

Why the heck don't you just make the first move?! Wouldn't that be less awkward then sending him an email that stays "umm why haven't you kissed me?" Just go in for the kill. Move in for a hug, embrace and then only pull back half way and look him in the face. If that doesn't say kiss me I don't know what does. Or you could do what I did with my now husband, just grab his face and give him a huge smooch!

Anonymous said...

If anyone kisses without tongue it's this guy.

PadresGirl said...

I'm with Ed. Just make the move. Worst case scenario, it's a little awkward. If he acts weird about you laying one on him, then ask if he's a socially retarded virgin. I'm pretty sure you aren't paying matchmakers to make you some new friends. Just sayin'.