Monday, December 1, 2008

Welcome to 7th grade

Rick and I had originally planned for a Sunday evening date- he was going to come over and I was going to cook for him. This was partially because my parents were staying with me for Thanksgiving and originally weren't supposed to leave until Sunday. They ended up leaving Saturday morning, and after having spent the previous three days with lots of family, some non-family social time sounded great. Plus I really didn't feel like cooking. We decided on dinner and a movie.

The movie started at 6:00, and I wanted to get there early so I could buy the tickets. But he beat me and had the tickets in hand. Darn punctuality. We saw Four Christmases which was hilarious. I recommend seeing it, it's worth $10. Anyway, as we were sitting in the theater, he was super fidgety. Finally, after about 20 minutes, he grabbed my hand....hence the name of this post. I totally felt like I was in middle school...not that I had a boyfriend for any period longer than two weeks, but you know what I mean.

After dinner we went next door and had sushi. As usual there was no trouble conversing. End of the night came, and I got (drumroll, please).......a hug! Yeah. That was date 3.5. I understand the awkwardness of a busy parking lot and stuff, but still, I just want to get the whole first kiss thing over with (I know, I'm quite the romantic). I think our next date will be at one of our houses, so that should do the trick.

On a side note, I've noticed something sort of odd. Every time we've met we've driven separately...and not once has he walked me to my car. He's an extremely polite person, so it was just something that I found strange. We always walk to the parking lot and part ways and walk to our respective cars (And Haley, I'm not making a big deal out of it, just something I noticed!). We haven't set up our next date yet, we just said we would figure it out.

Also, I had to call It's Just Lunch to give them my new phone number (I finally broke down and got a local #), and while I was at it, I told them I was ready for my next match. Yes, I 'm going to keep dating Rick, because I really do like him and think we're a good match...but I also paid for this service and would like to see what else they have to offer.

5 comments:

Jaimi said...

Yeah, the guy I am seeing did the same thing. And it took forever for him to kiss me. Hopefully it is worth all of this anticipation.

Anonymous said...

LOLOL, how awkward to get your hand randomly held in a movie. I'm cracking up right now! That is a little strange he hasn't kissed you yet...you should definitely make sure to have it at one of your houses next time.

Ed said...

Ugh. This is exactly why I hate dating so much. As a dude, you never know when to make a move or what sort of move you're supposed to make. Do you do it on the first date? At the end of the first date? On the second date? Third? Do you hold her hand? Do you go for a hug? A kiss? Do you go for first and steal second? There's no way to know!! And of course I never get any kind of indication from the other side of the equation.

I'm beginning to appreciate the simplicity of the drunken hookup more and more these days. You cut right to the chase and skip the awkward parts. If it ends up developing into something then all the better! If not, then at least you both got some action, right?

I think I'm gonna start doing a few shots of tequila before each date from now on before each date to help facilitate the process. It's not like I'm making any progress sober as it is ;-)

Food for thought, Hope.

Haley said...

I wasn't even thinking that but thanks for calling me on it! He sounds like a great guy! Keep me posted!

PadresGirl said...

I think the hand-holding thing is hilarious. I once had a guy lean over and ask me during the movie if he could hold my hand. At least Rick is a take-charge kind of guy. As far as the not walking to your car--speak up. I went through the same thing as you. Finally, I just asked the guy if he'd mind walking me to my car, because I felt "safer." At the very least you should make him feel manly. That could lead to some kissing, don't you think?